Governments & Public Policy
Since its inception, Kelemenis & Co. has been active in Southeast and Eastern Europe and the Middle East where it advises local governments on legislative initiatives and new government policies and particularly on legal approximation with the EU acquis communautaire, especially the acquis on energy, and on privatization processes and on PPP/PFI initiatives. In doing so, the firm has advised local governments and key state institutions throughout the region (e.g. Greece, FYR Macedonia, Moldova, Serbia, Albania, Romania and Egypt) and has the capacity to formulate government policies, observe the necessary formalities and draft the necessary legislative and contractual texts.
Highlights of the firm’s engagements with formulating government and public policy include:
- The harmonisation of Greek primary energy legislation to the 3rd EU energy package on behalf of the Greek Ministry of Environment and Energy.
- The Energy Efficiency Policy Project in the Western Balkans funded by European Bank of Reconstruction and Development (EBRD).
- Advice to the EgyptERA, the Egyptian electricity regulator, on the opening-up of the Egyptian power market to competition.
- The Greek Power Market Operator (LAGIE) in its institutional, corporate and regulatory restructuring toward a power exchange in accordance with the EU target model.
- Advice to the Energy Community Secretariat in Vienna for the establishment and operation of the Coordinated Auction Office (CAO) in South Eastern Europe.
- The World Bank Japan PHRD Assistance Program for Preparation of the Second Poverty Reduction Support Credit for Moldova.
- Assistance to the Greek Centre for Renewable Energy Sources.
- Assistance to Moldova for the review of the Country’s Strategy to EU accession.
- Approximation of Trade Legislation in FYR Macedonia.
EU Commission, World Bank, EBRD, European Agency of Reconstruction, Energy Community Secretariat, SEE-CAO, Greek Ministry of Energy.
Legal 500 2013 says:
Kelemenis & Co. advised DEPA on all regulatory issues relating to its upcoming privatisation.
Chambers Europe 2012 says:
This dynamic team [has] strong performance and excellent market feedback. The seven-member group … has a particularly strong reputation for … drafting the new law transposing EU directives into Greek legislation for the Greek Ministry of Energy and Environment…
Legal 500 2010 says:
In addition to providing regulatory and transactional advice… Kelemenis & Co. won the international tender to advise on the creation of the Coordinated Auction Office in southeastern Europe.
Legal 500 2009 says:
Kelemenis & Co. … has been active in PPP, including advising the government of the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia on PPP legislation. The firm has also entered into a strategic cooperation with Scottish law firm Tods Murray LLP, which has a very strong PFI practice.